Wednesday 10 October 2012

Pasta With Teriyaki Sauce - Combining west and east taste



Buy a bottle of Japanese teriyaki sauce;
vegetable that you could possibly eat (I tried on crunchy vegetables such as broccoli, sugar snaps, and cauliflower, also leafy vegetables like cabbage. But if you like mushroom like I do, it'll be a lovely add-on);
your choice of meat (for me it's chicken breast, but then you can use beef or bacon or pork, whatever. you can also use egg-this as additional);
and your favorite pasta (macaroni, spaghetti, linguine, etc)
Then you have a delicious meal contains complete nutrition you need: Carbohydrate, Protein, and Fibers

TO process all the ingredients:

Since I only have one electric stove, one pan and one microwave at a time, so I have to do some improvisation

First thing I do is put water in pan (hot water from dispenser to shorten the time) When the water boils, put in the pasta (I Put half cup of macaroni for me) and a pinch of salt.

Second thing to do while the pasta is cooking, is to chop the vegetables and chicken
        There are few options of determine their size
                   For vegetables: cut leafy veggies about min 2 inch, because the leafs will shrink and soften after cooking process; and chunky veggies about 2cm cubes or smaller if you really hate veggies, cut these chunky veggies first and put them together into the pasta that's still cooking in the pan. (Chunky one will take sometime to cook, depends on how you like your vegetables to be. If you like it crunchy, put in the chunky veggies only 5 mins before you take off the pasta)
                   For the meat: Depends on what result you want, I want mine to become crispy flakes of chicken, so I chopped the chicken roughly about 0.5cm. Thin and small pieces will cook faster than thicker and bigger pieces, you decide!
After chopping them all, set aside the chicken, work on pasta and veggies
       
Chopping all the veggies and meats will take sometime, by the time you finish, your pasta suppose to be ready. For leafy veggies, just put them into the cooking pasta a few seconds ONLY! Then immediately strain them.

Next, Let's work on the chicken:
                                     
Put some oil (about 3 tablespoons) on the pan (I prefer not to wash the pan after pasta but its up to you really).
Let the oil heats up, put in the chicken or whatever your meat is
(you can put the heat on high if your the pieces are small, but the bigger the size of the meat is, the lower you should put the fire on)
I put super high on mine, it makes the chicken browns fast and because the size is small, they stay crunchy for a while. 
(If you want to add eggs into your dishes, make scrambled fried egg before you fry the chicken, and set the eggs aside)

When the chicken almost done, put in Teriyaki Sauce about 2-3 tablespoons (depends on how much your pasta is, you might want it more or less, always put a little amout first then adjust) let the sauce caramelized with the chicken and oil.
Don't burn it! put in the pasta, veggies, egg (if you had made the fried egg), and mix them together for a minute.
Then quickly transfer them into a plate, and your meal is ready :)

I hope this is helpful for you :D


Little note:
to Store the chicken
I always buy 2 packages of chiken breasts.
After bought them, I go straight to the kitchen to chop them into slices.
Divide the chicken slices into 5-7 parts.
Then wrap every one part thinly with plastic cling wrap and freeze them (arrange them inside the plastic as thin as possible).
It comes handy for every time I cook. I didn't have to wait too long to defrost it.
Just put a bowl with water and the chicken package you made from the freezer (I use one package for one cooking session) into microwave and choose quick defrost.
try to watch the chicken inside the microwave because you might as well cook it if it's too long.
It might only take less than a minute to defrost thin package of chicken. You can work on the chicken afterwards.
These picture the potato soup I made, then I added my caramelized teriyaki chicken. you can also try it on other dishes

Good luck :D

No comments:

Post a Comment